Question regarding playsms and kannel

Hello,

I am on this format right now:
Me --> playSMS --> Nexmo or Twilio --> GSM network

I use playsms to let my clients login and send their sms. So basically, i sent almost 2000 sms per day.

I see many people here use kannel together with playsms and i contanstly made the connection that all these guys use their own modems so since they need a gateway they use kannel.
But, this is only my thinking… Since i don’t use my own modem, is there any other practical reason to use kannel with playsms?
I mean if on the above format, i add kannel, would this make a difference somewhere?

for me its cheaper to send to locals using SIM cards instead of SMS service provider

Me --> playSMS --> Kannel (now SMStools3) --> 2 modems with 2 SIM cards

anton

But again, you need local sms provider to activate your sim cards.
Don’t these sms providers you use, strict you to a limit? are you unlimited?
for example my sms provider (if i use a modem with sim card) limits me to 1500sms per month.
i sent 2000 sms per day… so even if i use 5 sim cards, it doesn’t make a difference.
what do you think?

not in my country

and also, if its a business you actually change SIM cards several times to meet your business quota, you do that in term of business, some people do that

if you just use it for fun or anything less crucial then a business where you have customers using your SMS service, then maybe changing SIM cards is too much for you

anton

You are right!
it has to do mostly with cost.

I just wanted to know, and the reason i started this thread, is if it make sense to use kannel, even though i use sms providers. I mean does it make sense to use both kannel and sms providers?
if yes where would be of help?

yup. playSMS can use Nexmo and Kannel simultaneously. You can route them based on destination, for example local numbers routed to Kannel, and some foreign country routed to Nexmo.

anton